This is an extract of my article, with small photos. You will find the complete article with full-sized photos in my e-book As American as Apple Pie !
In the travel series View America, this book narrates events and facts that are common to the entire nation.
Man's migration to America, ancient Indian cultures, New France, the French and Indian War, the 13 original Colonies, the Louisiana Purchase, the Civil War, American territorial expansion, the American Flag, American holidays, and the lighter side of... old US Laws!
This e-book is illustrated with more than 70 full-sized photos and maps.
In the USA there are some very old, and very peculiar local laws, some of which date all the way back to the 1800's. Lost of them are city or community laws, but some of them are even state laws.
Their existence is hardly surprising, given that local politicians tend to fish after favorable votes of their constituents, by constantly introducing new laws. The only condition is that they either have to deal with an actual situation, or be in the news...
These old laws are usually quickly forgotten, but nevertheless they still exist, even if they are no longer enforced. Here is a small overview of stupid, useless and completely forgotten laws.
* for a man to beat his wife more than once per month
* for dogs to bark after 6 pm (Little Rock)
* for a man and a woman to flirt with each other on the streets (Little Rock)
* to dispose of used razor blades
* to ride a bicycle over 65 mph (Bloomfield)
* to eat in a vehicle (Bloomfield)
* to walk backwards after sunset (Devon)
* to educate a dog (Hartford)
* to kiss your wife on sundays (Hartford)
* to fall asleep under a hair dryer
* for other than a married woman to Parachute on Sunday afternoons
* to sing in a public place while attired in a swimsuit
* to shower naked
* to skateboard without a license
* to put livestock on a school bus
* to park an elephant to a parking meter and not pay the parking fee
* for men to be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown
* to have sexual relations with a porcupine
* to sing in public, even on the beach, when only dressed in bathing suit
* for a barber to advertise his prices
* to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole
* to change the cloths on a store storefront mannequin unless the shades are drawn
* to sit on your porch in an indecent position (Columbus)
* to say "Oh, boy" (Johnsboro)
* for chickens to cross the road (Quitman)
* to mistreat oysters
* to scrub or wash sinks, no matter how dirty they get (Baltimore)
* to kiss another person for more than 1 second (Halethorpe)
* for a mother to give her daughter a perm without a state license
* for bar owners to sell beer unless they are simultaneously brewing a kettle of soup
* to sell donut holes (Lehigh)
* for barbers to shave their customers' chests (Omaha)
* for a child to burp during a church service (Omaha)
* for barbers to eat onions between 7 am and 7 pm (Waterloo)
* for a bingo game to last longer than 5 hrs
* to sneeze within city limits (Asheville)
* for women not to have their bodies covered by at least 16 yards of cloth (Charlotte)
* to fish for whales on Sundays
* to operate a motor vehicle while sitting in someone's lap (Cleveland)
* for women to wear patented leather shoes (Cleveland)
* for a woman to strip off her clothing while in front of a picture of a man (Oxford)
* to run out of gas (Youngstown)
* to let out dogs and cats at night without rear lights (Berea)
* to install a slot machine in a toilet (Bexley)
* to use a lasso to catch a fish
* for a woman to call a man for a date (Dyersburg)
* for a woman to drive unless a man is in front of the car waving red a flag (Memphis)
God bless the USA !